The innovation of LEDs has made itself felt worldwide in a wide array of products, from professional film lighting to illuminating Michelangelo’s frescoes in the Sistine Chapel to helping Harley-Davidson® riders navigate the night. LEDs are changing the way the world looks at things. So here are 7 reasons why you should consider installing an LED Headlight on your motorcycle.
- Instant Response: LEDs require no warm up time
- Greater durability: LEDs have no breakable glass or filaments
- Energy efficiency: LEDs use at least 75% less energy than incandescent bulbs
- Longevity and low maintenance: LEDs last 35 to 50 times longer than incandescent bulbs
- Directional Light: LEDs can direct light where it is needed far more precisely than incandescent or fluorescent light sources
- Smaller size: LEDs are compact
- Lower environmental impact: LEDs contain no mercury, which means they have a much smaller environmental impact than incandescent bulbs
LEDs ILLUMINATE YOUR VISUAL FIELD
There are two technical terms used to describe the advantages of LEDs:
- Punch – how far down the road or the distance ahead of you that light illuminates.
- Spread – how far from ditch to ditch or how much of the ditches are lit up. LEDs have a tremendous amount of both punch and spread so they are brighter and whiter, and they shine farther and wider.
WHY PICK AN H-D® HEADLIGHTThere are a lot of ways you can customize your motorcycle with lighting products offered through Harley-Davidson, whether it’s forward or rear lighting, turn signals, or accent lights to add style to your ride… but one of the most important and “stand-out” items is your headlight.
- An LED headlight is the fastest and easiest way to attain superior, state-of-the-art visibility for nighttime rides
- Brighter and whiter in color, the LED provides a superior light pattern over standard incandescent lamps, even under the harshest and most challenging conditions
- Extremely durable as they are designed for long life on the road
- Daymaker™ Headlamps cast a wide light from curb to curb (spread), with the brightest point where riders need it most
- The natural daylight lamp color of Daymaker™ Headlamps is easy on your eyes and is tuned to enhance and amplify the reflective character of highway signs and lane markers
Every H-D® LED headlight available has these advantages, but there are two distinctions in how Harley-Davidson executes LED headlights. One is called a “reflector” and the other is a “projector” (also known as “solid optic”).
- The reflector style has one or two LEDs that point backward
- The light hits the metal reflector and reflects the light back forward
- It’s a very traditional looking headlight; in fact, it has a similar look and style to that of the halogen light
- The projector LED headlight has numerous lenses in it; you can see four or five lenses in each design
- Behind each one of these lenses is an individual LED, so there are actually four or five LEDs in a projector headlight
- The LEDs shine forward through the lenses, which focuses the light onto the road ahead
- It’s a more modern looking headlamp
There are performance, price and style differences between the reflector and projector. The style difference is personal preference, but if riders are looking for the best of the best, that would be the projector-style headlight.
In case you missed our LED Lighting Workshop - here is the Facebook Live broadcast:
Looking for more inspiration? Check out this collection of articles about Customizing Your Harley-Davidson Motorcycle.