- The guy you are buying it from filled up the tank and wiped it down... if you are lucky. All of our motorcycles go through an extensive reconditioning process with a factory-trained technician before it hit our showroom.
- The guy you are buying it from will not be able to finance it. We work with a variety of lenders and we finance motorcycle purchases every single day. (see the benefits of financing a motorcycle vs paying cash).
- The guy you are buying it from won't handle the tax, title and registration of the bike. You will be going to the DMV. Buy from us and we do it all.
- Not happy? Will he make it right? We will.
- Stay safe. Consider meeting at our dealership and having one of our technicians do a quick brake and safety inspection. At least you'll know what you are buying and won't have to meet a stranger in a creepy alley.
- Ask about the service history of the bike and see if you can get copies of any records.
- Ask if it has any factory warranty left. Ask if it still have an extended service plan or other protection plan and if it can be transferred.
- Ask if they will be including an owners manual or service manual. Ask if there is a second set of keys or a security code to override the security system.
- Ask if the bike comes with any stock parts. You might end up liking them better.
- Be careful taking the bike for a test ride. The last thing you want is a discussion with an unreasonable person on whether or not damage on the bike was there before you showed up.
- Be prepared to pay cash. Most people won't take a personal check.
- Get the title. Check to make sure there are no lien holders on the title.
- Do your research on the DMV's website so you know what you need to do to register the bike in your name.
- Make sure the motorcycle has current registration. You will be responsible for any "back registration".
A lot of the bikes you see listed online might seem like a great deal but once you start considering all of these things, how great of a deal is it? How much time and money are you willing to spend on repairs, transferring warranties, resetting security codes and registering the bike at the DMV. What's your time worth?
If you've never bought a dealership or it's been a while since your last purchase... give us a try. We make the process of purchasing a motorcycle EASY, TRANSPARENT AND EFFICIENT (see all the reasons why to buy from Oakland H-D by clicking here). Check out our inventory online and if you see something you like, give us a shout! Need help picking a motorcycle that’s right for you?
Ready for more information on buying a motorcycle? We've compiled some of our most popular articles into The Definitive Guide to Buying a Motorcycle.