It is very stylish to wear a motorcycle jacket right now. There are a growing number of places to buy a leather jacket in this world. Endless styles. From stores in the mall to the vintage shop in the cool part of town - you see them everywhere. And while it might be tempting to pick up one of these "black biker jackets" from one of those other places, you might think twice before treating it as your go-to motorcycle riding jacket. Harley-Davidson has been making riding gear for over 100 years. There is a difference when a motorcycle company designs your riding jacket. Here are 20 features found on Harley-Davidson Riding Jackets that make them ready for life on the road.
Why Buy an H-D® Riding Jacket?
- Jackets made out of a durable leather and/or textile fabrics protect you from dirt and debris kicked up by the road.
- Harley-Davidson riding jackets have reinforced shoulders and elbows which protect key potential impact areas.
- Optional CE-Approved (approved for sale in the European Union) body armor and/or pockets (back armor pocket on select styles) protect shoulders and elbows.
- Some jackets come with a versatile three-in-one hoodie or removable warmth liner to keep you warm.
- A collar that can be rolled or is padded helps to keep the wind, sun and rain out of your jacket making you more comfortable on your ride.
- Many H-D Riding Jackets feature 3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Materials which offer better visibility at night.
- Some jackets have venting through underarm grommets which allow you to feel some of that air flow through your jacket which can be helpful on a warm day.
- Many riders don't notice the two-way zipper on most Harley Riding Jackets which helps to reduce bunching when you are in a more hunched-over riding position.
- Sleeves of riding jackets are made longer, intentionally. They are also cut to imitate the curve of your arm as you reach for the handlebars. This means the jacket will be the most comfortable when you are in a riding position giving you more mobility.
- Wearing layers is key when riding in a variety of weather conditions and it's difficult to justify the purchase of multiple sized jackets for each layer combination. If they don't have layers included in the jacket, some H-D jackets feature side-waist and sleeve tabs which allow you to customize the fit of the jacket.
- Similar to the sleeve design, the back of these jackets are cut to fit the contour of your back when it is in the riding position.
- Many H-D jackets have venting throughout the jacket, not just under the arms, which allow you to feel that cool airflow in numerous places.
- The hardware (buttons zippers, etc) installed on riding jackets are custom to H-D and road-ready. This means they have been tested to withstand the wear and tear of riding.
- Each seam on a H-D leather jacket is skived and folded which reduces the bulk at the seams.
- H-D Jackets use five-ply thread with double needle topstitching for reinforced, extra double seams.
- Cuffs can be zipped or adjusted for custom fit to prevent the wind from blowing up your sleeves.
- Interior pockets help keep all of your stuff dry, easy to access and organized.
- Zippered hand-warmer pockets keep belongings secure while riding and hands warm when not riding.
- Custom Harley-Davidson graphis are used on each jacket so everyone recognizes that signature style.
- Harley-Davidson stands by their jackets with a one-year limited warranty on textile riding jackets, a five-year limited warrany on leather riding jackets and a limited lifetime warranty on the FXRG Leather Jackets.
Are you looking for the perfect new riding jacket? Let our MotorClothes® Experts help. These product experts are trained in determining the perfect jacket for each rider. They also are aware of jackets we might not currently carry in stock or ones arriving in the coming months. Schedule your appointment today!
*Excerpts taken from MotorClothes training materials.
Ready for more? Check out The Guide to Gearing Up to Ride.